When I was younger I took way better care of my skin and would have an array of makeup palettes and different kinds of lipsticks and mascaras in my makeup bag. Gone were the days when I would work patiently with my Mac Fuidline eyeliner creating the perfect cat-eye (which I still love, but realistically don’t have time to create and use everyday). Truthfully, I consider myself lucky if I even have a swipe of mascara on my lashes before heading out the door! Which brings you to my favorite everyday must-have makeup essentials list:
- Daytime Face Lotion: Wait, does face lotion even count as make-up? Yes, when sometimes you don’t even have time for makeup! It’s my number one make-up essential as it goes on before anything else. Back when I was young and thought I had money to spend, I would use face lotions I’d buy from the cosmetic counters at the department stores but my favorite still to this day and is pretty reasonably priced for how much you get – Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. I love the clean light silky feel and that it’s fragrance free, the only downside is that it doesn’t already contain SPF which for my current California lifestyle I’m in dire need! (Also try the Moisture Surge line for night, love it!) These days I rarely have a moment to myself let a lone time to hit a make-up counter so I find myself buying most of what I need at Target. Which brings me to my current face lotion Olay Total Effects 7-in-1 Anti-Aging UV Moisturizer with SPF 15, it’s under $15 and works wonderfully. What’s not to like, it already has SPF, it’s an anti-aging face lotion (I turned 28 this month so that’s pretty important to me), it’s full of vitamins and get this it actually exfoliates too, and best of all fragrance-free just the way I like!
2. Foundation: I remember when my sister (over at Joie De Viv) and I would watch the infomercials for the original BareEscentuals back in 2004/2005 back when I was a junior in high school. I remember learning about the breathability and lightness of this powder as they tested it on I believe a pair of twins (one with the make-up and the other with a regular foundation) as they supposedly went for a run and came back into the studio. Of course one had runny make-up where she had been sweating, while the other with the bare mineral powder still remained naturally on her skin and looking flawless. We were instant suckers for the brand and ordered over the phone (through the infomercial) and remain loyal even to this day! It got easier and easier to acquire as it was available for a time at Nordstrom, but is still available at Sephora and Ulta, they even have their own stores popping up at every mall. When they introduced the Matte version of the powder, MATTE Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15, it has then become my favorite go to foundation! Also another perk, it adds another layer of SPF protection!
3. Mascara & Eyeliner: Urban Decay Total Perversion! I like that you can buy these two in a kit, because they really do go hand-in-hand with each other! Both are fuss-free in the blackest of black shades! I’ve bought many eyeliners that say black, but you’ll notice that when you sharpen them there may actually be a trace of blue tint left on the pencil…but not with this eyeliner. It glides on smoothly, also gel-like because it was actually created with 50% moisturizing ingredients (like jojoba oil, vitamin E and cottonseed oil) while also being waterproof! It also dries quickly for full-day wear! As with the pencil, the mascara also glides on super smooth with its full feathery brush. Because of how smooth it glides, if you’re like me and like to use one mascara for day and night wear, this one you can go ahead and pile on stroke after stroke for more effect without the clump!
4. Eyebrow Kit: I’m really a believer of your eyebrows being a framework to your face! When you have neatly groomed brows the rest of the face pulls together quite easily. I’m admittedly terrible at doing my own brows since I barely have a natural arch which is why I always go get threaded (I may not be one that focuses on vanity such as getting my nails done, hair done, facials, waxes, etc, but I will always get my eyebrows done!) Sonia Kashuk Brow Kit Arch Alert 12 is my go-to! I’m not opposed to using cheap brow kits like Wet n’ Wild or ELF cosmetic’s, but I find that this one is gel-based and isn’t a two-step kit which is key for mom life (less work, less time).
5. Lipstick: Lipstick is one of those fun pieces that make it look like you tried, even when you haven’t maybe because it tends to be the last thing you put on. It kind of pulls together a look. As with my powdered foundation, I like my lipstick matte as well (this will probably change when I hit my 30’s as I’ll probably want skincare with more moisturizing agents) but for now, I like the non-sticky/non-transferring feeling of matte products. My favorite lipstick even from my early days of just experimenting with make-up is always NARS Matte Lipstick in pretty much any form of red (a favorite of mine is Scarlett Empress).
What are you’re favorite make-up products, what are your everyday must-haves?